Made this because this happens ALL THE TIME
WHY, VERGIL, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS
(Haven’t updated in a while since there’s no school and therefore no Aeneid translating! But we will be back to updating once school starts again!)
there’s no hope for me
This is probably the crappiest drawing ever, but by far is still a masterpiece.
ravenclawesomever said: Hi! I need your advice! I want to learn latin & greek but I am told there is no use in learning dead language or something insignificant. I have no interest in learning other languages too. Is learning latin/greek a waste of time? Thanks in advance.
WHO DARES TO CLAIM LATIN AND ANCIENT GREEK ARE USELESS.. Grrr..
Well, let me tell you why Classics are such a beautiful thing.
1. At first, Latin isn’t dead at all. Except for the fact the vatican still uses it, you can hardly form a proper sentence without using a word originated in Latin/Greek, or actually Latin or ancient Greek. It is just impossible to expel Classics from our modern day language.
We, as a nice friendly fandom of classicists we are, know this very nice poem (special thanks to esneiratusfrater):
"Roses are red
Violets are blue
If you say Latin’s dead
You soon will be too.”
2. Secondly, learning Latin or ancient Greek will give you huge advantages in learning other languages (in the future maybe). Namely Latin is the basis of most European languages (like Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Portuguese, French, and loooooots of others).
3. Furthermore, Classics will probably teach you more about life than anything else in the world. Think of the everlasting wisdom of Ovid, Plato and Homer. And think of the myths such as Icarus, which teach people not to fly too high (be overconfident), and Pandora, which learned us curiosity kills the cat.
4. Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur. (keep that in mind when you decide to study latin, it might come useful, I promise).
5. We should all praise Latin, Greek and their cultures. Why? Because they’re just awesome. And oh yeah, meet our fandom. Don’t dare to tell em Latin/Greek/Classics are useless, dead or anything.. You probably will get into a classic Classics war, and remember; We, classic side always win. Besides the fact were pretty protective about that thing, we are pretty cool though :)
Here some nice Latin/greek/classics fun, to close off (and prove Classics aren’t boring) :
(credits to classicalmeangirls for most of the awesome memes above)
thank you very much. Gratias tibi ago.
Page 1 of 2375